Test Your Yiddish Skills
1) Which one of these people might best be described as "zoftig?"
a) Callista Flockhart
b) Lara Flynn Boyle
c) Kirstie Alley
d) Woody Allen
2) You're driving around in eckveldt (the boondocks) and have no idea where you are. You are:
3) You found it! The Holy Grail! A $2000 designer dress for just $39.95! You've found a:
4) Which one of these people has a "ferbisseneh punim?"
a) Michael Jackson
b) Leona Helmsley
c) Barbara Walters
d) Julia Roberts
5) He eats like a pig and wipes his face with the back of his hand. He farts and picks his nose at the dinner table. He curses like a drunken sailor. He's a real:
c) grubber yung
6) Which of these is NOT a body part?
7) Which of these is NOT an insult:
a) shana maydel
8) You've gone to a wild party where you've been downing vodka jello shots like candy. You can barely stand up anymore, and you've made a fool of yourself in front of everyone you know. You are totally, completely:
9) Which of these things would you never find at a kosher restaurant?
b) luckshen kugel
d) kasha varnishkes
10) Of these various uses of "kishka", which one is incorrect?
a) "Yes, waiter. I'll have the roast chicken with a side order of kishka."
b) "That Yetta, she's such a piece of kishka!"
c) "After twenty years of keeping secrets, he finally went to a shrink and spilled his kishkas."
d) "If anyone ever tried to mug me, boy, I'd give him such a chamalyiah in the kishkas!"
Solution to Quiz